Sunday, January 14, 2018

Boundweave...........slow weaving............

It's been a long time since I've woven boundweave and I had forgotten just how long it takes to weave this weft faced weave structure. In March and then again in April I'm giving presentations on it to two different local guilds.  In 1999 I presented a guild program on boundweave and luckily I had woven a 3" notebook full of samples. But I was missing a few I had interest in so decided to put on a warp for the first two.
Weaving letters - symmetrical and asymmetrical. It was fun but took me oh so long to weave these small samples. How did I manage to weave that 3" notebook full of samples back then??? I mean, I love the look of boundweave, and I don't mind slow weaving working from a graph paper design but I wove a ton of samples back then......must have been a slow year for anything else!

Almost all my samples were woven using 5/2 perle cotton as the weft although I did weave one sample using 10/2 perle cotton - I must have been nuts, at some point I might have to figure out how many picks are in that 7" sample. I don't have any samples using thicker threads, like for rugs, so that's what my next set of samples will be. I'll be using a thick wool weft for one sample and fabric strips for another - I'll be weaving krokbragd, a 3 harness boundweave.

After the second set of samples are woven I've got to totally re-vamp my handout. It's needs a tremendous amount of updating but for some reason the file never made it from computer to computer - who knows what happened to it. So, I'll be starting from scratch working from the one print copy I have, essentially starting over.


Here's a long boundweave wall piece I wove back in 1999 - shuttles in a color spectrum.


It hangs in the hallway outside my studio - I love it as much now as I did back then.


6 comments:

  1. LOVE that wall hanging! Wish the country wasn’t so large so I could come to your program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a winsome wall hanging. I'm putting it on the long list of things to swipe the next time I come out for a visit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see I'm going to have to put an alarm on it.

      Delete
  3. If Theresa forgets to swap the shuttle wall hanging I am going to get it. Cindie, the wall hanging is really nice and would look spectacular in my weaving studio. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, good thing you aren't within driving distance Martha!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous, and so much work but worth it! I'm fascinate by your projects and would like to hear more about them.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!